Sunday, August 12, 2012

Week 6 BOC:Me working on a computer editing a photo


Photography, if done well, is not just about taking correctly composed pictures. I spend far more time on my photos doing post processing and retouching then is spend getting the shot. The rule that you always here is to get the photo right in camera and I agree that that is the goal to strive for. The fact is that it is not always possible to get your vision 100% in camera and some editing might be required. Also it is more often the case than not that even a well composed and exposed photo can be made even better with some post processing. I am shown in this photo editing a photo on the computer. I am in fact editing the photo of me doing the editing. So, how can I take a photo of something that does not exist yet? I simply took the photo of myself at the computer with a blank screen and then made a copy of the photo and placed it into the original photo.

This photo was shot against a black background and with a piece of white foamcore for a table top. I used wireless remote to actuate the shutter on the camera. There are two strobes for lighting. The main strobe is placed 3 feet in front of me angled down at 45°. The other strobe is behind me aimed at the laptop. The second strobe also provides a hair light which helps separate my head from the background. In order to get the picture in the laptop monitor to have the correct perspective I used the transform  tool in Photoshop to skew it to fit the screen. Finally adjusting the overall exposure and did a little cropping to finish the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment